When you visit your dentists’s office, your mind might be focused on the doctor you’re going to see — but your dentists in Fargo couldn’t give your mouth the awesome care they do without a little help. The second week of April is National Dental Hygienist’s Week, so it’s the perfect time to send a shout out to all of the amazing hygienists out there who are making smiles healthier and happier around the world. But what exactly do hygienists do, and how can you show them the appreciation they deserve?
What Do Hygienists Do?Everyone in a dentists’s office contributes to the practice’s smooth running, but the hygienists play a special role. Some of their typical duties include:
- Cleaning and polishing patients’ teeth
- Taking X-rays
- Looking for signs of tooth decay and gum disease
- Educating patients on how to have the best possible oral hygiene routine at home
Showing Appreciation for Your Dental HygienistsThe next time you have a dental appointment, you’ll probably spend a good portion of the time with a specific hygienist. Take advantage of that time! Hygienists are experts who can give you the advice you need to take your smile to the next level, so feel free to ask lots of questions. If there is any quandary that they can’t give you an answer to, you’ll still have an opportunity to get the information you want when the dentists comes in to examine your teeth. A big part of a hygienist’s job is to create a positive experience for patients. Many of them even have a special talent for putting anxious children at ease. After the appointment, if you feel like your hygienist made you or your child feel welcome and comfy, why not say so? They’ll appreciate the compliment just as much as you appreciate having a clean and fresh mouth.
Meet Our HygienistsWe have an awesome team at Cornerstone Dental that includes five hygienists. Would you like to meet them?
- Jenn is an active woman from California who enjoys hiking, painting, and baking, among other things.
- Alyssa has been with us at Cornerstone Dental from the beginning of her career. She loves to cook, clean, and zip around town on her moped.
- A North Dakota native, Benton enjoys outdoor activities like hunting and fishing. He also has a twin brother!
- Angie has worked in dentistsry for 13 years, 10 in a lab and three as a hygienist. She loves to spend time with her family, including her cat and dog.
- Ashley has seven years of dental experience. She enjoys tennis, hula hooping (with a weighted hoop), and hanging out with her friends and family.